Choosing a Tool & Die Maker in China
There are questions every sourcer has to ask when choosing a tool & die maker in China.
- The advantages of making tools and dies in China?
- Domestic toolmakers vs. export toolmakers
- Tool and die makers in South vs. East China
- Tool and die workshops owned by foreign vs. local companies
- The tool and die makers’ focus on size vs. precision
The advantages of making tools & dies in China
- Cost: Due to lower costs of raw materials and wages, the price of injection mold tools in China attracts buyers from western countries.
- Quality: The quality of tooling from China can compete with European and American quality and durability standards.
Domestic toolmakers vs. export toolmakers
Chinese toolmakers for the domestic market:
- Represent advantages for tools and dies under class 102, due to lower labor costs with Chinese manual operation and inexpensive steels / accessories.
- Tend towards manual operations, such as trimming flash manually or repeated fitting of the tooling, rather than automated operations.
- A good choice for injection molded parts purchasing, if you want only to buy parts from China
Chinese toolmakers for the export market:
- Focus on overseas market, particularly the US and European markets.
- A better understanding and familiarity with the requirements of western companies and HASCO or DME standards.
- Good quality but lower prices; good export toolmakers can build molds of comparable quality to those in United States and the price is usually 30-50% cheaper.
Tool and die makers in South vs. East China
East and South China are the primary industrial-development areas; with a longer developmental history based around Shenzhen, Southern China has higher quality to offer, while the more recently-developed Eastern zones offer lower prices.
Tool and die shops owned by foreign vs. local companies
Of tool and die workshops owned by foreign companies, these are mostly from Europe and the United States.
- Employees are usually Chinese, giving lower labor costs.
- There are greater advantages in communication with overseas clients.
- Willing to offer a better payment term.
- Quote much higher than Chinese owned tool and die shops usually.
Tool and die makers’ focus on size vs. precision
Size-focused tool and die makers:
- Equipped with large-size machines, aiming for auto tools production.
- Everything in their workshops is big.
- A relatively large investment.
- Your choices list will be shorter and easier if you choose these makers.
Precision-focused tool and die makers:
- Equipped with the finest machinery, including measurement equipment.
- Everything in their workshops is accurate.
- Focus on tools and dies for medical devices and consumer products.
With Precision, Sophistication and Professionalism, Immetech is able to offer:
Reliability in quality assurance
Immetech is a one-stop solution provider with the following attributes:
- Founded in 2009
- 150 employees
- 9,000 m² workshop & facility
- 500+ molds per year
- Up to 20 tonne mold weight
- Up to 2 meter mold size
- Molding shop up to 2,000 tonnes
- Double shot molding shop press up to 1,920 tonne
- ISO9001:2015 approved
- ISO13485:2016 acquirement is proceeding.
Immetech: Serve products to the world, build molds to the globe!